The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

General name change information
A married woman's name change rights upon separation

Separated women (who took their husband's surname upon marriage) often believe they have to wait until their divorce is finalised before they can revert to their maiden name.  This is incorrect.  A separated woman has the right to change her surname at any time.  Therefore, if you are separated and do not wish to be known by your husband's surname, you can revert to your maiden name (or to a new name entirely) by Deed Poll.  Changing your name is quick and simple and you can read a summary of the Deed Poll process by clicking on this link.

Changing your name by Deed Poll does not affect any divorce proceedings that may follow your separation.  Neither does it matter if divorce proceedings have commenced.  All you need to do is notify "the other side" of your name change.  All subsequent documentation relating to your divorce will then be in your maiden name.

When changing your name by Deed Poll, you can also take the opportunity to make changes to your forename(s) if you wish e.g. change, add or remove your first and/or middle names.  With regard to your title, it is up to you whether you continue using Mrs or change your title to Miss or Ms.

If you wish to change your title when you change your name, you will see a section on our Deed Poll application form where you can tell us what new title you want so we can incorporate a declaration on your Deed Poll that changes your title.

If you have children, you may also wish to change their surname by Deed Poll to your new surname or to a double-barrelled surname (your surname with your husband's surname).  However, to change a child's name, the consent of everyone with parental responsibility is required.  If your husband is your children's father, then your husband will have parental responsibility and his consent will be required for any name change.  For further information about parental responsibility and consent requirements, please read our page Can I change my child's name?

Last updated: 14 September 2005

How to apply

Next article

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.