The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Apply online
Apply by telephone
Apply by post
Apply in person
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

How to apply
Apply by post

Request a Family postal application pack

A Family Deed Poll is a less expensive alternative to having separate Adult and Child Deed Polls where a parent is changing their name and at least one child (who is under the age of 16) is changing their surname to the same new surname as the parent.  A Family Deed Poll is in fact an Adult Deed Poll with the child(ren) added.  Consequently, the parent and child(ren) share the same physical Deed Poll document.  Please note, the applicant parent can change their forenames (first and middle names) as well as their surname, but the forenames of the child(ren) cannot be changed on a Family Deed Poll.  You need to order separate children's packs if you wish to make any change to your child(ren)'s first and/or middle names.  Please note, a spouse/partner or sons and daughters who are 16 years of age or over can change their forename(s) and surname because they will be issued with a separate Adult Deed Poll document.

Because children under 16 are added to the parent's Deed Poll document, the disadvantage of a Family Deed Poll is that when your children grow up and leave home, they will not have their own Deed Poll document to take with them, which they will need (along with their birth certificate) when they are required to prove their identity (for employment purposes or if applying for a mortgage, passport or driving licence etc).

If you are unsure if a Family Deed Poll will meet your family's name change requirements, please call our Helpline (see top right of this page for our telephone numbers and hours).

This graphic ( ) appears next to questions that must be answered.

Details of your family members
Is your spouse/partner
changing his/her name

Your souse/partner can change their
forenames AND surname if they wish

How many children (under the
age of 16) will be changing their
surname to your new surname

Children under 16 years of age can only change their surname to your new surname on a Family Deed Poll

At least one child under 16
How many sons or daughters aged 16 and over will be changing their name

Sons and daughters aged 16 and over can change
their forenames AND surname if they wish

Where would you like your family application pack posted to?

The name we should write on the envelope
Postal address
Please include your postcode
Press your Enter key at the end of each line.
Nationality Enter your nationality. If you are not British or you are a British national living overseas click here (opens new window) to read our page about who can apply for a Deed Poll.
Email address If you have an email address, please replace our email address below with your email address so we can contact you if you need a response.
Any comments or additional information