The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

About Deed Polls
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?

This article answers the frequently asked question "Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?"  It also provides information about Enrolled Deed Polls, which are only available from the Ministry of Justice.

Sections in this article
1. Introduction
2. More about Enrolled Deed Polls
3. Why are Enrolled Deed Polls so unpopular?
4. What are the benefits of an Enrolled Deed Poll?
5. Applying for an Enrolled Deed Poll (includes a checklist for eligibility and suitability)
6. Deed Poll trivia

1.  Introduction
Contrary to popular belief, there is no central register of name changes in the United Kingdom.  Deed Polls are not registered anywhere unless they are voluntarily "enrolled" i.e. lodged for safe keeping, in the Close Rolls of Chancery (from 1851 to 1902) and from 1903, in the Enrolment Books of the Supreme Court of Judicature, which is located within the Royal Courts of Justice in London.  After about five years, the court's Enrolled Deed Poll records are transferred to The National Archives, which is situated in Kew, Richmond, Surrey.  The National Archives, which is open to the public Monday to Saturday, have Enrolled Deed Poll records going back to 1851.

2.  More about Enrolled Deed Polls
Enrolled Deed Polls from the Ministry of Justice are regulated by The Enrolment of Deeds (Change of Name) Regulations 1994 (later amended by The Enrolment of Deeds (Change of Name) (Amendment) Regulations 2005).  The regulations prescribe the procedure that British and Commonwealth citizens (who were not born in Scotland and who live in the United Kingdom) must follow if they wish to have their Deed Poll enrolled.  The procedure requires an executed Deed Poll in the prescribed form to be submitted to the Royal Courts of Justice in London together with:
  • The applicant's birth, adoption or naturalisation certificate.
  • If married, the applicant's marriage certificate.
  • If married, a letter from the applicant's spouse consenting to the name change.
  • A statutory declaration (sworn before a solicitor) by a British or Commonwealth citizen who has known the applicant for at least 10 years and who owns property in the UK.
  • A notice for the London Gazette newspaper (see below).
  • Payment of the 102 fee (as at August 2013).
If the name change is for a child (who is under 18), the following must also be submitted:
  • An affidavit (sworn before a solicitor) by a parent explaining the reason for the name change and why the name change is in the child's best interests.
  • The written consent of anyone else who has parental responsibility for the child.
If the application is successful, the details of the name change are then published in either the London or Belfast Gazette newspaper [ What is the London Gazette - opens pop-up window].  The information published includes the applicant's new name, former name and home address.  The same information is also published on the Gazette's website.  The Deed Poll document is then stamped by the court and posted to the applicant." It can then be used to get the person's documents and records changed to their new name (in exactly the same way our Deed Polls are used).

3.  Why are Enrolled Deed Polls so unpopular?
Enrolled Deed Polls are extremely unpopular for the following reasons:
  • It's a complex process that many people find difficult to follow.
  • Separated women need their husband's written consent to revert to their maiden name (in fact, all married people and civil partners need their spouse or partner's consent).
  • You need to know an independent British or Commonwealth citizen who is prepared to visit a solicitor and declare (by a statutory declaration) that they have known you for at least 10 years and they own property in the UK.
  • In addition to the 102 fee, there will be your solicitor's fees for getting the necessary statutory declarations sworn.
  • It takes about four weeks before the Deed Poll document is received.
  • There is no difference in the effectiveness of Enrolled Deed Polls and the Deed Polls we issue.
Enrolled Deed Poll are so unpopular that less than 300 are issued annually, whereas we issue about 60,000 Deed Polls annually.

4.  What are the benefits of an Enrolled Deed Poll?
Although there is no difference in the effectiveness of the Deed Polls we issue and Enrolled Deed Polls (both will get all official documents and records changed to a new name) enrolling a Deed Poll has the following benefits due to a copy of the Deed Poll being held in perpetuity at The National Archives:
  • Unquestionable proof of a Deed Poll's existence and execution.
  • A certified copy can be purchased (but only by visiting The National Archives).
  • Future generations can find the Deed Polls of their ancestors when researching their family tree.
5.  Applying for an Enrolled Deed Poll
If you are considering applying for an Enrolled Deed Poll from the Ministry of Justice, before you embark on the lengthy application process, we suggest you first use the checklist below to see if you are eligible to apply and to check if an enrolled Deed Poll is suitable for you.

Enrolled Deed Poll Checklist Yes No Not
1. Are you a citizen of the United Kingdom (but not born in Scotland) or a citizen of a Commonwealth country and do you permanently live in the United Kingdom?
Our service:  Anyone living in the United Kingdom can apply regardless of nationality and country of birth.  British nationals living overseas can also apply.
2. If you are a separated woman and you want to go back to your maiden name (or any other name), will you be able to get a letter from your husband consenting to your name change?
Our service:  Separated women do not need their husband's consent to change their name.
3. Are you happy having your current name, new name and your home address published on the government's website and in their newspaper, which is called the London Gazette (or the Belfast Gazette if you live in Northern Ireland)?
Our service:  We do not publish or give your personal details to anyone.  Our service is confidential - just between you and us.
4. You need someone to confirm your identity.  This person must be someone who has known you for at least 10 years (but not a relative or partner) and owns (not rents) property in the UK.  Do you know such as person?
Our service:  We do not require anyone to confirm your identity.
5. If you know someone described in 4 above, will that person be prepared to visit a local solicitor to swear a statutory declaration confirming your identity?
Our service:  We do not require anyone to confirm your identity.
6. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, will you be able to get the written consent of those who have parental responsibility for you?
Our service:  We can issue Deed Polls to 16 and 17 year olds without the need for parental consent.
7. From when you start the Enrolled Deed Poll application process, it will typically be about four weeks before you receive your Deed Poll document.  Are you happy to wait this long?
Our service:  You can have your Deed Poll documentation posted the same day you apply for next working day delivery.
8. The fee for an Enrolled Deed Poll is 102 (as at August 2013).  On top of this will be your solicitor's fees for swearing the necessary statutory declarations.  Are you happy paying these higher fees?
Our service:  Our fees are from 23 to 35.

If, like most people, you ticked one of the No boxes, then an Enrolled Deed Poll is not for you.  Please continue using our website to become one of the 60,000 people who apply to us each year for their Deed Poll.

If you ticked the Yes box to all the questions that apply to you, then you may want to embark on the enrolled Deed Poll application process to become one of the few people who each year apply for an Enrolled Deed Poll.  To find out more and to download the necessary forms from the Ministry of Justice website, please click here.

6.  Deed Poll trivia
We issue daily the same number of Deed Polls than are enrolled annually and we issue annually more Deed Polls than have been enrolled since 1851.

Last updated: 14 August 2013

How to apply

Next article

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.